DECADENT CHOCOLATE TOFU CHEESCAKE
- 1/2 package chocolate cookie wafers (5 oz)
- 1/4 cup finely ground almonds
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 cup sweetened, shredded coconut
- to be completely dairy free, use margarine or better yet, a good nut oil instead of butter (optional)
- 2 packages mori-nu organic lite extra firm silken tofu (24.6 oz)
- 1 package ghiradelli double chocolate chocolate chips or your choice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1/2 teaspoon coffee extract
- 1 1/2 tablespoons water
- salt to taste (I use about 1/2 teaspoon)
- if you would rather use espresso or strong coffee instead of extract, use about 5 teaspoons and omit the water and coffee extract (optional)
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F
In bowl of food processor combine cookies and almonds. Pulse until mixture is finely ground. Add melted butter and water. Pulse once or twice. Stir in coconut by hand. Pour crumb mixture into 9 inch pie pan. Using fingertips, press evenly into bottom and up sides of pan. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes, until crust hardens slightly.
In a microwaveable bowl, microwave chocolate chips until soft. Stir until its an evenly consistent melted mass. Scrape into food processor. Add tofu, pulse a few times. Pour in coffee, vanilla, and water. Add salt. Process until smooth. Pour into crust and refrigerate 2 hours or until firm.
Serve with a little whip cream, nonfat if you prefer, and a little fresh fruit if desired.
Serves 10, one serving is about 300 calories